Tuesday 18 February 2014

Basketball Diplomacy

While Dennis Rodman was playing out his version of basketball diplomacy in North Korea, I was participating in my own in Hong Kong. Both events seek to form cultural understanding, and to bring two seemingly different, and at times "clashing", cultures together through sport.

The main difference between our forms of basketball diplomacy is that Rodman is operating on an international stage, in a valiant attempt to bring world leaders, who have been enemies for decades, together in the name of sport.

Whereas I'm trying to make some new friends.

After failing to integrate myself during my first stint in Hong Kong. I'm back, looking to find community and a sense of home. So armed with my partly inflated basketball, I head down to Southourn Playground. A large outdoor sports facility right in the heart of Wan Chai, equipped with 4 full size basketball courts, 1 soccer field, and a few dozen senior citizens reading the newspaper and chain smoking cigarettes.



The sun touches only half of the playground in the early morning, as it peaks over the skyscrapers surrounding the facility. I'm cold in the shade, but start bouncing my ball and taking some shots to warm up.



On the court adjacent to mine, a group is practicing Tai Chi. The leader shouting instructions over a screeching megaphone, which I assume is used to balance the peacefulness of the ancient Chinese practice.

The sun has now creeped its way to my court, and I take a minute to breath it in. Feeling warm, I take off my sweater, and continue to take jump shots.

I'm approached by someone who asks if I want to play some 3 on 3. It's myself and two other "foreigners", vs. three local guys. I say "I'm in", trying to stay cool, and hide my excitement.

I'm doing well, using my height to my advantage, I'm collecting rebounds at will and making some short range shots. In the end we win two out of three games, we shake hands, and exchange complements.

I talk briefly with my teammates, one of who is a fellow Canadian. I'm surprised how good it feels to talk, even briefly, to someone who has a similar background.

What I'm finding in Hong Kong is that I'm constantly seeking out foreigners, and better yet, Canadians to hang out with. To hear english, to talk about hockey, even if just for a few hours a week, really improves your mental health.

Canada is no different than other countries, in that new Canadians are expected to assimilate to the dominant cultural norms. I'm not an immigrant in Hong Kong, I don't plan on staying here for the rest of my life, so my experience differs drastically from that of refugees or people seeking a better life in Canada.

But if I were to move to Hong Kong could I adapt to local customs and cultural norms? or will I constantly be clinging to ones that I grew up with and am used to. Probably a combination, but I'm sure I would remain heavy on the latter.

I leave the court feeling satisfied, slightly more connected, and my head heavy with thought, which is probably more than Dennis Rodman can say.






   

No comments:

Post a Comment