Wednesday 21 August 2013

A melodramatic account of my morning commute


"Shit, shit, shit". I mutter under my breath, while gathering the last of my things.

No matter how many times I vow to not be in a morning rush I still find myself in a panic.

I fly out the door, with the fleeting feeling that I am forgetting something, and take the agonizingly slow elevator down to the street.

I'm rushing down the road, but struggle to move past the hundreds of umbrellas floating in front of me. Some move agonizingly slow, others are as desperate as I am, but there is no order, just the random dance of jellyfish.

I turn the corner and can finally see the entrance to the underground. "It will be cool there" I say to myself "Must get there".

The weather report said it's 32 degrees, but with the humidity it feels like 45.

Within minutes of leaving my air-conditioned apartment, a thin layer of sweat settles on my skin, and I am grateful for the disguise offered by the light rain.

I'm going to make it, I will soon be in the comfort of the metro station air-conditioning, but suddenly the sea of umbrellas crashes to a halt.

I force my way through, only to see a red blur zoom past me. I can feel the wind off the taxi. A shiver crawls up my spine, but there is no time to process my near death experience.

I reorient myself, fainted paint on the asphalt informs me to look right, not left. I look both ways, all clear. I hurry across the road and into the safety of the cave.

Following a series of steps, I stumble down a long tunnel. It's nice and cool, and best of all there are no more umbrellas, which I escaped with only minor facial injuries.

I come to a series of gates, I hesitate, I know I'm supposed to do something. I watch as others move past me. That's it! I shove my hand in my pocket and fumble for something, anything. "Aha!" I proclaim proudly, as I take the card out of my pocket and thrust it forward.

Beep. I push past the rotating barrier to the other side.

I'm going to make it!

As I come to the top of the escalator, a wave rushes forward. I hesitate, worried about drowning in the mob, but then put my head down, in an attempt to swim to the other side.

Suddenly I am enveloped by suits, ties and designer fashion bags; there is no escape, the escalator is out of sight.

I panic, and push blindly through the crowd searching for a way out.

I turn around, and amidst the hordes of people moving upward, there is one escalator free. It's glowing, heavenly, and I hurry towards it.

As I float gently down, I observe the many figures moving in the opposite direction, looking down at their phones, all I can see is black hair rising slowly past me.

A train approaches as I make it to the tracks, and I narrowly miss being hit as people explode out the doors, like a shook can of pop.

As the last drop leaves the train, I slip on, I breath, and check the time on my phone. I'm going to be okay.

I relax, and turn off my lizard brain, until tomorrow.












No comments:

Post a Comment